This is an old recipe from Southern Living. I love nectarines and peaches! You may choose to use only peaches and that's fine. Try some fresh peach ice cream with it or my favorite, just plain vanilla. Delish!
- 3/4 pound peeled nectarines, sliced
- 3/4 pound peeled peaches, sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup peach preserves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 (15-oz.) package refrigerated pie crusts or your favorite recipe
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper; coat parchment paper with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together nectarines, peaches, and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Unroll piecrust on prepared baking sheet. Roll into a 12-inch circle.
- Drain fruit mixture, reserving liquid. Toss nectarines and peaches in flour.
- Mound nectarines and peaches in center of pie crust, leaving a 3-inch border. Fold pie crust border up and over fruit, pleating as you go, leaving an opening about 5 inches wide in center.
- Stir together egg and 1 Tbsp. water. Brush pie crust with egg mixture, and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. Carefully transfer tart on parchment paper to a wire rack; cool 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring reserved nectarine-peach liquid to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Boil 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Let cool slightly. Brush or drizzle 1 to 2 Tbsp. hot nectarine-peach liquid over exposed fruit in center of tart. Serve immediately with remaining nectarine-peach syrup, and, if desired, fresh whipped cream or ice cream. Yum!